Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Romeo and Juliette – A Tale of Two Octopi







 They saw each other and it was love at first sight.  They wanted to swim off and live happily ever after but their families had different ideas.  Her father said that he came from the wrong side of the ocean and was beneath her.  His family said that she would never amount to anything and only wanted to be a starfish with her name in glowing plankton off the coast near Hollywood.   They didn’t care.  They were determined to make it work.  Their love would overcome and they would beat the odds.  They snuck out together one night, intent never to come back.  They would go find a sunken ship to call home and raise a slew of baby octopi.  Did it work, or did they become the appetizer special at Red Lobster?  Only the Shadow Bass knows.

Well, how was that for a tale of romance?  Maybe I should just keep to crafting and leave the story telling alone.  These cute little critters were made at the request of my kids.  I searched around online for something cute to make our daughter for her birthday.  She ended up with a purple octopus  and the rest just kind of followed along a few days later.  Here is a link to the pattern I mostly followed:


I made a few minor changes to suit what I liked best but it is a great pattern just like it is.  My favorite crochet hook is a size 5/F, so that is what I used.  To be honest, I don’t even own a G.  I found that the spiral legs were a little too spirally with 3 sc in each chain stitch, so left it to one.  As you can see, they still were plenty curly.  I also skipped rounds 9 – 15 on the body and just did one row of sc when I reached the middle before I started going back down.   Of course, the facial features are different, but we will all choose to finish ours off a little differently.  I added a flower to Juliette’s head just so she would look pretty for Romeo!  I'd be glad to share the pattern for the flower if anyone is interested.

I hope you like the pattern and will admit it’s a little better than the story.  The kids all loved the octopuses and they are simple and fun to make.  If you have some extra time, give one a try and let us know how it comes out!

No comments:

Post a Comment